When I thought about my Personal Health, I figured it would be best to just respond in a list to better evaluate all of my healthy practices. So here goes…
1.I try to consume a daily healthy diet, but sometimes it is difficult to squeeze in the combination of the appropriate recommended servings as well as a good balance of protein and carbohydrates. I do take a vitamin supplement because osteoporosis runs in my family, so I need that calcium!
2.Does chasing after two children and keeping house count as moderate activity, because if it does I am active all day long! I do also try to squeeze in a 30 minute walk about four times weekly, as well as, practice yoga twice weekly.
3.Sleep is my weakest link. It is not that I have a hard time getting to sleep but when you have two small children who wake up, on average, once a night, there is always a lack of the good REM sleep.
4.I abstain from all tobacco and drugs.
5.I do consume alcohol in moderation. A glass of red wine two to three times a week can be very nice.
6.I have been in a monogamous relationship for ten years so, thankfully, STDs are a non-issue.
7.I ALWAYS wear my seat belt, refuse to even go near a motorcycle, and most importantly I never take a chance behind the wheel when alcohol is involved!
8.I can honestly say that conflicts are minimal in my life, but when present, are handled accordingly and most appropriately.
9.I am a believer in seeking healthcare, preventive and on an as needed basis. With a family history of breast cancer, heart disease, lung cancer, (the list continues) I don’t like to take any chances!
After evaluating this list I feel very confident in my overall behaviors. I can safely say that I rate at about an eight on a ten point scale. However, there is always room for improvement. Those improvements can always be made in my diet to ensure the correct amount of fruit and vegetable intake. I am a kid when it comes to veggies… blah! I do believe that healthy behaviors must be at the forefront of our minds on a daily basis.
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It's good and encouraging that you follow so many of the important guidelines. I try, but could improve in the exercise, diet and stress departments. It just seems like there is never enough time and eating fast food is so much easier although I am trying to cut out any fast/junk food altogether. I think it is great that even with work and two kids, you manage to exercise. I work and have one but still feel too exhausted to work out daily! Like you said, though, it is a matter of making healthy behaviors a daily thought.
ReplyDeleteI want to say KUDOS to you and all women who juggle family, school, and time for oneself in a crazy, hectic world. It is great taking time for yourself and being a great role model for your kids! It so easy to go out and buy premade frozen meals or fast food instead of cooking a healthier meal home. I am working on bringing a bag lunch to work instead of eating out all the time. In the long run I will save money and keep my waist line from growing.
ReplyDeleteRebecca, you have great health practices. You seem to be doing a really job managing your school, home, and work. It's great that you get in a 30 minute walk. I wish that I could do this because it's not only a good fitness routine, but it is a stress reducer. Not having many conflicts in your life is a plus.
ReplyDeleteIts also good that you keep an eye on your diet. Veggies and fruit consumption tends to be a problem for a lot of us. I don't like a lot of veggies either. But, the real problem is that I don't know of a lot of "good" recipes for veggies.