Friday, July 17, 2009
Family Influence on Nutrition
I was raised in a household with a mother and father (who have now been married for twenty-nine years) and three siblings, myself being the first born. My father worked from seven to five, Monday through Friday, and my mother stayed at home. It was an extremely stable and fulfilled childhood, which in hindsight, I can greatly appreciate. My mother is an extremely organized individual and ran her household in tip top shape! Routine was everything when it came to four children, especially at mealtimes. My mother had a set menu and followed it without fail, every week. On Mondays we had spaghetti, Tuesdays were Chicken Stir-Fry, Wednesdays were Enchiladas, etc... There were occasional variations which were experienced usually on the weekends when my dad was home and there was more time for experimentation. Also, since our family only brought in once income for six people, it was a very rare occasion that we would eat out and when we did it was water for everyone and no dessert! We usually ate at the same time every day and somehow my mom always made just enough for everyone. This meant that there were rarely leftovers or room for seconds. Desserts were always a special treat in our house, and were available once or twice a week. My mother did bake a variety of things, banana bread, muffins, and such, but those items were usually part our meals. My mother always made sure we had a "green" vegetable at dinner whether it was broccoli, green beans, or tossed salad. She placed importance on every meal, always making sure we had breakfast, lunch, and dinner without fail. Looking back, now that I am a parent, I see how big of a commitment my mother made to our family. It takes a serious, conscious effort to be that consistent and I have to thank my mother for her incredible dedication. It is her example, by which I try to follow with my own family, and I am a work in progress! All of this being said, I personally believe that family dynamics play a very intricate part in nutrition and diet. Parents set examples for the children with the food that they bring in their home, the eating habits they maintain personally, and the importance they place on mealtimes. I also believe, that because of the good examples my parents set, I have the knowledge base for a healthy and balanced lifestyle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Rebecca you grew up in a great household. It sounds like a television show. Your mother was very organized. I think that is what made all the difference. Planning your meals ahead is a very good idea. It keeps you focused when shopping. You buy what you need not what you see. Weekly meal planning is good for your health as well as your pocket book. I think I am going to try out that weeklong meal list you mentioned. Wish me luck! It sounds delicious.
ReplyDelete