Thursday, July 9, 2009

Menopause, Culture, and Aging

After studying the different effects on how a woman's culture can play an important role in her experience with menopause, I felt the strong correlation between a healthy existence and a positive life change. When we talk about culture and menopause, I believe that aging gracefully must dutifully be included. The aspect that stood out to me the most was how women are revered in their respective societies had very much to do with how their "life change" occurred. Women, such as those in Japan, are celebrated! Their change brings about more respect. On the flip side, women in Middle Eastern countries fear that the loss of ability to have children, which in turn, tend to produce feelings of worthlessness. These are just examples of positive versus negative emotional experiences that exist. However, I have also learned that physical manifestations vary from culture to culture as well!

Project AWARE (Association of Women for the Advancement of Research and Education) has compiled a list of all possible symptoms associated with menopause and they are listed as follows, on their website:
  1. Hot flashes, flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes, clammy feeling (see note)
  2. Irregular heart beat
  3. Irritability
  4. Mood swings, sudden tears
  5. Trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats)
  6. Irregular periods; shorter, lighter periods; heavier periods, flooding; phantom periods, shorter cycles, longer cycles
  7. Loss of libido (see note)
  8. Dry vagina (see note)
  9. Crashing fatigue
  10. Anxiety, feeling ill at ease
  11. Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom (see note)
  12. Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion
  13. Disturbing memory lapses
  14. Incontinence, especially upon sneezing, laughing; urge incontinence (see note)
  15. Itchy, crawly skin (see note)
  16. Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons (see note)
  17. Increased tension in muscles
  18. Breast tenderness
  19. Headache change: increase or decrease
  20. Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain, nausea
  21. Sudden bouts of bloat
  22. Depression (see note)
  23. Exacerbation of existing conditions
  24. Increase in allergies
  25. Weight gain (see note)
  26. Hair loss or thinning, head, pubic, or whole body; increase in facial hair
  27. Dizziness, light-headedness, episodes of loss of balance
  28. Changes in body odor
  29. Electric shock sensation under the skin and in the head (see note)
  30. Tingling in the extremities (see note)
  31. Gum problems, increased bleeding
  32. Burning tongue, burning roof of mouth, bad taste in mouth, change in breath odor
  33. Osteoporosis (after several years)
  34. Changes in fingernails: softer, crack or break easier
  35. Tinnitus: ringing in ears, bells, 'whooshing,' buzzing etc.
Of all of these possible symptoms, women from different cultures have reported to only having a few or none of the above. According to research performed by the Canadian Woman's Health Network the following applies to women experiencing menopause:

  • Japanese women report fewer hot flashes and other symptoms.
  • Thai women record a high incidence of headaches.
  • Scottish women record fewer severe symptoms.
  • Greek women report a high rate of hot flashes.
  • Mayan women report no symptoms
These are just a few examples that I felt the need to share with all of you. I can't help but think that if we, as Americans, apply the old adage "Respect your elders" into our daily lives, the women in our country could truly thrive and retain the value of their worth throughout their life change and beyond!

My sources include:

http://www.project-aware.org/Experience/symptoms.shtml
http://www.cwhn.ca/resources/faq/menopause.html
http://health.discovery.com/centers/womens/menopausenew/culture/culture.html

3 comments:

  1. Menopause is one of many topics not discussed openly in my family and culture is a contributing factor. My sister remembers that our mom did not experience night sweats, but she did have difficulty sleeping and experienced short bouts of hot flashes. Our mom rarely spoke about her experiences probably because she thought we were too young to understand. In our early 20’s, she became comfortable telling us anecdotes about all sorts of bodily functions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Menopause is something thati know I will face one day and in a way look forard to it so that I have a period anymore.however the grumpiness, hotflashess, cold sweats, and sleepness nights are somethings I would rather do without. In myfamily its just another step of being a woman, I hought your blog was ver informative good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca,

    What an informative post this is! I was so fascinated with learning that different cultural groups have different experiences. Could this be a result of their foods, liefstyle, or geographic locations? I am curious about this aspect and I must say it is quite enlightening.

    In Africa, menopause is not anything to talk about because it is just a process of life. My mother did not share any information with us/me about her experiences and I cannot recall anything specific I could look back to and say that she was experiencing change/problems. In the US it is viewed with alot of fear but I am resisting that fear because I think life has to go on 'naturally' not artificially. And now that we do not have much of HRT going on with African women, I just wonder what their experiences are. I will do abit more research on that.

    ReplyDelete